About The Wharf
Darren and Anna Welcome you to The Wharf Inn
We are on the Leicestershire/Northamptonshire border just 30 metres from the end of the Welford arm off the Grand Union Leicester Canal. We have a large car park and a splendid enclosed garden on the bank of the river Avon, where people can eat and drink with a decking area sheltered by an enormous umbrella with heat lamps.
The Canal room seats 16 comfortably and can be used for private parties, meetings or just a nice quiet room to sit and enjoy food & drink – with your dog if you have one.
As a couple we took over in Summer 2014 ~ Anna – herself a well-travelled narrow boat owner knows well the importance of a good unpretentious canal side pub with a casual relaxing atmosphere after a days cruising.
Darren has been a chef for 28 years and worked at the Wharf as an apprentice 20 years ago so really knows the area well
The Wharf is very popular with walking groups as the surrounding countryside offers lots of fantastic walks from 1 to a 15 mile circuits, they are able to park in the carpark in the morning, use the amenities, pre-order their lunch, walk and when they return lunch is served.
100 Years Of History
Our pub, distinctive for its unusual castle turreted appearance. Originally called The George was built in 1814 by William Dobson but there was probably a building here earlier as the river crossing of the Avon was a ford where Welford gets its name. The canal wharf handled large amounts of coal, building materials and lime.
In 1894 the pub was taken over by the Gilbert family whose photographs are at on the back wall of the dining room along with some valuation and sale documents from the period. That’s when the castellations were added. After Mr Gilberts death in 1904 Mrs Gilbert ran both the Inn and the business for over 50 years and for a period operated her own narrow boats. Two of these boats Gwen Mary and Julie were named after her daughters. Miss Gwen Gilbert lived in the Wharf cottage all her life until 1990 when she died aged 90. The George Inn became a café in the 1950’s but regained its licence in 1970 when run successfully by the Draper family.
The Local Area
The settlement at Welford dates back to the days of the Doomsday Book. Coaches on their way from Leicester to London often pulled in to rest at the small town, and its popularity grew with the construction of the Welford arm of the Grand Union Canal in 1815.
The Welford Wharf, on the Welford Arm of the Grand Union Canal, was reopened in 1969 after years of neglect. At the back of the wharf stand the remains of the Welford lime kilns, and as demand for lime grew in the early 1800s, barges began transporting more and more limestone along the canal networks to the kilns, where it was burnt, turned into lime and put to use as fertiliser by local farmers. The seven Welford kilns were built in phases from 1820 and stayed in operation until the early 1930s, you can still visit the remains of old lime kilns – once the largest kiln site on the Grand Union Canal.
The Wharf occupies a pleasant grassy locale presided over by the historic Wharf Inn. A bend in the canal leads to the colourful marina and the start of several fantastic walks alongside the kilns and the canal.
Accommodation at The Wharf
Here at The Wharf Inn we have 4 shower en-suite bedrooms. 3 doubles and 1 twin. Recently refurbished to a high standard, all have tea & coffee making facilities, free Wifi and televisions.
Real Ales and Wines
Just as important for the ever growing clientele is the selection of very good well kept beers and an international wine list, There are always 6 real ales, Marston’s Pedigree and Grainstore’s 10:50 reside constantly with guest beers from Oakham Ales and 3 choice others that are generally a surprise! All beside a selection of lagers and ciders.